Hearty Winter Soup
Beans are an excellent addition to soup. They provide a protein source, improve heart health and are dense in nutrients. This soup is perfect as a starter or as a hearty, warming lunch.
Servings: 2 people
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 fennel bulb finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery finely chopped
- 1 courgette finely sliced
- 2 carrots finely diced
- 2 oz quinoa
- 400 g tinned tomatoes
- 28 fl oz water
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 400 g mixed beans
- large bunch flat leaf parsley finely chopped
- 1 lemon juiced
- salt and pepper
- grated parmesan optional
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan.
- Fry the onion until it starts to soften.
- Add the onion followed by the other chopped vegetables and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the quinoa and the tinned tomatoes, water and stock cube.
- Add the chilli flakes and stir well.
- Simmer for 15 minutes with the lid on.
- Add the beans and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the parsley and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
Recipe by Rhian Jones and Clare Fysh