Butternut Squash, Lentil & Coconut Dhal
Servings: 2 people
- 1 red chilli pepper
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 20 g mint blend into puree
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 80 g spinach
- 150 g butternut squash
- 200 ml vegetable stock
- 25 g coconut cream
- 4 g black mustard seeds
- 400 g green lentils
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 15 g ginger peeled and grated
- 70 g coconut yogurt
Butternut Squash Dhal
- Prepare your cubed butternut squash and place on a baking tray. Put in the oven on 200 fan for approximately 40 minutes or until tender.
- Whilst the butternut squash is cooking, add your lentils to 4 cups of water and bring to a rapid simmer. Once rapidly simmering, reduce heat and maintain low simmer to cook for 20-30 mins. Lentils are cooked when they are tender and no longer crunchy.
- In a large non-stick pan, heat a small amount of rapeseed oil on a medium heat and once hot, add your black mustard seeds as well as the ginger, garlic and spices (turmeric, coriander, cumin). Cook for a couple of minutes.
- To your hot vegetable stock, add the coconut cream.
- Add your cooked lentils and the coconut stock to the spices in the pan and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Once squash is cooked, remove from the oven and roughly mash, add to the pan with spinach and mix together, cook for 2-3 mins until the spinach has wilted.
Mint coconut raita
- Combine the pureed mint to coconut yogurt.
- Serve with raita and sliced red chillis for an extra kick.